Sunday, September 18, 2011

time to embrocate!

The rains and cool temperatures of fall finally came out for a teaser yesterday. I rode downtown to catch a Torah study at Temple Beth Israel, clad in knickers and a wool jersey. I could tell it wanted to rain just a little; but wasn't cautious enough to take a rain shell along. I rode home in a light shower, and the wool kept me warm enough as long as I kept moving. I did get a little sniffly, mostly from the change in the barometric pressure; but otherwise I felt fine.

Today I awoke to the sound of a real shower, big drops going ..::splat!::.. against the living room window -- and I smiled.
In a couple of hours I'm heading over to the park for cyclocross practice -- and today it's cool enough that I can finally break out the embrocation.



It doesn't look like much, but it's one of the happiest rituals of my cyclocross season.

2 comments:

Bill Gibson said...

Embrocation is a sensation I have never had, but it sounds good here in the endless summer of Southern AZ. Might be just the thing for my arthritic knees, even though cycling itself always makes them better, so far!

bikelovejones said...

I find that emrbo is not so necessary in our warm (but not epic-hot), dry summers. It starts to become a necessity for me when the temps drop below 60 and stay there. The colder it gets, the hotter the concoction I prefer.
NW Kneewarmers make a great product in varying degrees of warmth.