Thursday, May 31, 2012

siren call

Last night I rode my bike up to Mt. Tabor to watch my Team Slow pals race in the fixie category (except for Klaus who raced a more "normal" bike in Mens' Cat 5). Then we all went and hung out at Tomas' place afterwards. And I realized that I was not ready to walk away entirely from racing.
I would miss the cameraderie of effort, pain and craziness that is Team Slow, the only team that loudly cheers everyone else as much as we cheer each other, the team that bings chalk to Mt. Tabor and draws huge hype messages in the pavement, the team that shows up in shocking safety orange and has more fun than anyone else at the races. How we place is almost irrelevant, and that's the part I'd forgtten about.

So this weekend I'm pulling out the Bridgestone -- the geared mountain bike I'd gotten almost a yeara go in anticipation of having to leave singlespeed racing -- and will begin overhauling it. Goal is to race at least a couple of times in July at the short-track series, in my masters' age group. I expect to finish dead last, and hope to have a grand time, flat pedals and all.


4 comments:

jjfantastic said...

oh beth, this post makes me so happy :) hopefully i'll see you out there at some point. i'm trying to get up the gumption to try short track this summer - found a bike, need to learn to ride it. might start out with just the pre-ride clinics and work my way up to an actual race later. we'll see.

bikelovejones said...

JJ! If you want to do a couple of later-series races, I'm tentatively planning to race the last two or three in July. If you want to schedule a little recon time we can go out there and practice riding on the grass. I will be dreadfully slow and mostly just working on remembering my technical dirt skills.
Lemme know.

jjfantastic said...

Sounds like a plan! I need to get some more miles under my belt on this bike before I jump into the fray! And I am pretty much always slow and have no technical skills of which to speak. I *might* go out there this week, but only if the weather's decent most likely :)

bikelovejones said...

Opening night is supposed to be damp, with a good chance of some rain. I'll go out and watch the mudbath after work but doubt my bike will be ready to ride before July 4 weekend.