Tuesday, January 22, 2013

it was like this: neighborhood ride, n/ne pdx 1-21-13



gorgeous day for a ride
 
Originally uploaded by periwinklekog


Nothing ambitious. I just hadn't been on my bike very much and I was missing it. The weather has been dry but very cold for the last week and a half, with lows in the high 20s and highs hovering around 40F. A temperature inversion has added to the fun; the air quality is poor and all the families burning wood to stay warm -- common in this part of town -- have only made it worse.

Still, I went for a ride yesterday, an easy loop around N/NE Portland that took in parts of N. Willamette Blvd, Rosa Parks and Killingsworth Streets. I wore layers of wool and topped it off with winter knickers and a heavy sweater, and toe covers over my shoes.

The sun was bright and low in the pale-blue, still-winter sky. As long as I kept moving it was mostly okay. I saw a Cooper's hawk perched in a tree at Overlook, and noticed the first buds appearing on the tips of the bare branches.

Towards the end of my loop, I ran into a former co-worker, Ryan, who had left Citybikes several weeks earlier to take a job elsewhere with more hours and health benefits. He was sweet, cheerful and as happy to see me as I was to see him. We agreed that when my scheduled calmed down a little we should go for a ride together. I'm looking forward to that.

After stopping at the store for a few items for dinner -- Monday is my day to cook and I was making soup -- I came out to unlock my bike and felt suddenly colder. I rode briskly to get home, where the soup tasted especially good after my cold-weather ride. I rode an unambitious total of 9 very sunny, pleasant miles.

Today, I am paying for the ride in poor air; my throat is scratchy and a little sore. I'm downing zinc lozenges and will probably take the bus to meet my student today. But I'm glad I rode. The air quality is expected to improve when the rain comes in late tonight and the temperature rises into the mid-40s.

4 comments:

Harry H said...

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your post has inspired me to get out of the house rain or not. I need to get on my bike and go for a ride. I have been too long off the beast.

bikelovejones said...

Harry -- thanks! The older I get the harder it is for me to get excited about riding in the cold, until we get a string of cold, dry sunny days. Riding one or two of those days gives me the oomph I need to ride in the rain when it returns.

The rain returned yesterday, broke through the temperature inversion and improved the air. Riding home from work last night was not bad; light rain, warmer temps, better air. My legs felt good and I didn't need my inhaler. All good.

Onward!

ezrarufino said...

Very cool post, stay warm out there riding. Hope your throat clears up!

I know how you feel, I've been riding(on the other side of the country) and it's been quite cold. My throat often gets dry on a ride, and I'm chugging water at the end.

I really like your saddle bag, looks like you can fit quite a bit in there.

Enjoy the rides!

bikelovejones said...

E: The saddle abg is a 12-year-old Carradice Nelson Longflap model. It's quite roomy, large enough to handle an extra sweater, a few books and a half-gallon of milk with room to spare.
As the temps have risen here in PDX it's been easier to ride without pain in my knees and heaviness in my lungs. Looking forward to lengthening days and warmer afternoons. Happy riding --b