Sunday, February 24, 2013

six months

Six months ago my life changed in a fairly radical way. I have struggled at times with the change in both my primary career and in my work-related identity in many ways. So much of one's identity in the world is wrapped up in what we do, sometimes to the exclusion of who we are.

The challenges continue to confound me at times.
Money remains woefully tight and now my employment is determined from year to year, rather than assured indefinitely.
My circle of friends continues to evolve as I move through this landscape. Some friends from my bicycle industry days have stopped calling or returning my emails and I chalk that up to simple proximity. Outta sight and all that.

But mostly I am profoundly blessed to have found meaningful work that allows me to be who I am and to make a difference for others.
So I can say that, six months out, I'm doing more than okay.
I am grateful beyond words for my loved ones, family and friends, who have supported me through this strange and occasionally scary time.
I hope that time and energy will point me in the directions I'm supposed to go, and that I will find good people along the way to help me to keep things real.

Life is good. I am grateful.

3 comments:

the Slow Schlepper said...

Good for you Beth.As you say,sometimes too much of who we are is based in what we do.I've always found that work friends are mostly colleagues and I rarely maintain contact once I have moved on.

BTW : the heat is almost gone and I will soon be able to use (and blog about) my beautiful new 'trouser clips'

best wishes,

Ian,Melbourne

selfpropelledlifestyle said...

Just started following your blog. What did you do in the bicycle industry? Are you now a cantor?

bikelovejones said...

Selfpropelled... I worked in the bicycle industry for close to 20 years as a mechanic, lead purchaser and instructor before leaving in September. I had been doing Jewish music and education as a sideline for the last 14 years and am now focusing more intently on making some kind of career out of it.

I am not an ordained cantor (too much schooling and money required for that at this point in my life); though I do serve as a cantorial soloist and synagogue musician here in Portland and occasionally elsewhere.

Slow Schlep... Although there is wisdom in not making your work friends your closest friends, I do enjoy some really good relationships with a couple of the people I work for; my immediate boss and I are a combination of workers and friends and so far it has worked out well.

Like anyone serving a faith community in some professional capacity I have found that I do sacrifice some closeness in many of my friendships with other Jews; but I knew that when I decided to go into this work and I am so far not being taken by surprise by this reality. I try to navigate the landscape with as much openness and grace as I can muster and hope for the best.