Monday, July 15, 2013

everything must change

I have learned that the source of my decision to leave the bike shop last fall has himself left the business.  I don't know the details, and don't need to know them; but apparently he resigned while I was out of town last month.  I've also learned, over just the last few days, that several other people have left the business in the last few months, and that things at the shop are, according to a former co-worker who recently left, "very challenging... there are a lot of issues for them to work out."

I feel mixed.

On the one hand, my life is so far removed from the shop, and from the bicycle industry, at this point that I sort of feel nothing. On the other hand, I knew this fellow -- or thought I did -- and worked alongside him for nearly twenty years. I admit that I don't feel a clean, sterile sense of detachment about him or about what compelled me to leave the business when and how I did. Even though I absolutely did the right thing at the time, hearing this news now feels murky and a little sad.
It's impossible to feel pure detachment about a place I spent nearly two decades of my life. I don't know what will happen, but I do know that all things pass eventually.

I hope everyone will be okay and that all the players in this story will find some peace.

No comments: