Wednesday, May 29, 2024

The new lock fad.

At tonight’s Bike Happy Hour, I noticed quite a few bikes secured against theft with something other than U-locks.

In fact, so was mine.

I stopped using U-locks a few months ago. The locks I had were small, to make it harder to fit a leverage tool inside. But using so small a lock made it hard to lock up either of my bikes, both of which have 26” wheels.

So, like many others, I’ve switched to a folding lock. Made of hardened steel and encased in nylon or rubber, they allow enough room to secure bike frame and wheel to a rack and are strong enough to withstand most efforts at theft.

(Obviously, a Sawz-All would get through; but at that point you’re attracting enough attention to just look stupid.)

Here’s a few examples
















Folding locks come in varying lengths, with links in varying individual lengths and thicknesses. The fold up quite compactly and usually come with a holder that bolts to the frame (using the water bottle eyelets).

(They seem especially ideal for the latest generation of e-bikes, many of which come with really fat tires and unusual frame geometry that make using a U-lock all but impossible.)

A folding lock that provides enough security will be heavier than a U-lock of the appropriate size. Mine is heavy enough that I must remove it from its holder to hang the bike on its wall hook. It can easily cost as much as or more than the higher-quality U-locks. It’s definitely an investment, and a good one for a bike you really care  about.

Abus makes the industry standard, and a new one can set you back $60 to $80.

But so far, I’ve been glad I made the switch.

1 comment:

anniebikes said...

I like the idea of these and will try one at some point once my cable lock gives out. But still, cable locks are useful to secure two bikes. I'm just happy that people are using locks! I have a Ulock and a chain lock, both are likely more secure than my cable, but limited.