Friday, April 30, 2010

it's too complicated: a rant

I don't like complicated. And I'm beginning to realize I mostly don't like computers because they are way too complicated for me.

Switching to Blogger, for instance, was supposed to be easy. It was supposed to be easier and better than Live Journal, where the ads were taking over the site and getting in the way of blogging. But the truth is that the problem may be me. I may not be cut out for this computerized world.

The amount of time it has taken me to learn just the few things I know how to do, well, I've given that a lot of thought. And switching to Blogger has been fraught with all kinds of anxieties, including losing info I thought I'd successfully saved to the new blog, not understanding how to manipulate things on the screen, and realizing that what I really want is a blog where everything is formatted FOR me, where I don't have to learn all this damned code.

I'm not a code kinda gal. Don't know it, don't understand it, don't really care about it, don't need it in my life to pay bills or be happy.

This is not about Blogger as much as it is about me and the kind of person I am, the way I learn things, and the way I want to spend my time.

And that is why I am reconsidering blogging. It feels like such a huge time-suck and I am reevaluating how much time I want to spend in front of a computer at all. Realizing that I may, indeed, have little of importance to say most of the time, and that my little posts about bikes and parts and rides may not make a huge difference, or certainly as big a difference as my face-to-face interactions with people do. This is why I have resisted cell-phones, Facebook and all the other time-sucks in the electronic universe that threaten to tear me away from real-time, face-to-face living.

I'm not sure I want to adapt. I'm not sure adapting would be the healthiest thing for me and who I am, who I want to be in this world. I get frustrated at computerized everything when it gets complicated because I'm a tactile, experiential learner. I learn by touching and messing around with things in a physical, visceral way. I take things apart and put them back together again to understand how they work. I can't do that with a computer, and when something doesn't work in a computer I mostly freak the fuck out.
And when I get like this all I want to do is rebel against the electronicness, the untouchability of it all.

So my frustration with the complicatedness of computers and how they don't really fit my learning style may be an invitation to a larger reexamination of how I spend my waking hours. I'm sure that among the most computer-savvy of you, you will scratch your heads and wonder how someone like me could possibly be living in this time and continue to be so resistant to all this stuff, but I am. Sometimes it just reaches out and slaps me and reminds me that I'm spending too much time here. Today is one of those days.

7 comments:

Bill Gibson said...

But, you write well and have some important (to me) perspectives and fun things to say. Keep it simple, I say, and stick to the writing part of the blog and don't worry about the other stuff, or try to get it all right all at once. I'd would miss your thoughts if you disappeared! Of course, it's about the meaning of "enough", whatever it is for you.

rickrise said...

Ditto. Yours is one of the few blogs I look at regularly. You have a lot of good stuff to say about bikes, commerce, culture, and just plain life, and you do say it well.

Keep it up; just don't feel obligated to do it on any sort of schedule.

And whether you carry on or not, thanks for what you've done so far!

lynnef said...

talk to me.

bikelovejones said...

Thanks to all of you for your patient encouragement.

I am temporarily swamped for free time this week and next, so for now I will follow Bill's sage advice and Just Write if I have something to say. I promise I will eventually sit down and figure this stuff out. But for now I need to take a step back and, well, yeah; Just Write.

JBJ said...

Hey bike gal -

am a regular reader of your blog. it mixes two of my favorite things: portland and biking. from the perspective of someone that is kind and helpful, not some know it all who whizzes by me with their fancy clothes and gear while I'm on my 3-speed schwinn. as long as you continue to write, i'll continue to read your blog!

HawgFuel said...

hey, for what it's worth, I like your blog. Don't feel obligated to have a quota of postings. Just write when you feel the desire.

Paul Johnson said...

I'm tempted to give you all sorts so tips and hints, but that would be about the same as me trying t to tell you how to overhaul a bottom bracket, or explain the significance of Matzoh ...these things are ALL mysteries to me.

I came close to cashing in my
Blogger chips (both of them) when I made one fateful but incredibly simplifying click of the key board: I updated to the "new blogger format" from the old and everything became blissfully easier.

plus I NEVER try to use 'code', or 'tags'. Code to me is code for, "You are not smart enough to decode the code." I just type WYSIWYG and have been at peace with the whole egotistical public journal process ever since.

I am certainly not going to tell you not to give up, because it's not at all about me, or us out here looking in the window. It's about you and your frustration threshold (DON"T ask me how I know this!)

But I do read you regularly.

BTW: I was going to comment on your rim post but could not get through the security fence to post my comment! That's how smart I am about this foolishness.

Yr Pal Dr C