Friday, December 31, 2010

bikey bits and pieces at the end of 2010

In no particular order:

1. Learning how to work out has been a slow process, in fits and starts, since joining a gym last month. But I am learning and will stick with it. Sweetie went with me today and helped me figure out a workout plan that's more in lone with my modest goals (get stronger, improve energy levels, reduce stress). I tried some new things and learned how to use more of the equipment. I am hopeful that I can establish a routine that will work for me and help me improve over time. For now I'm not worrying about spinning; with all the daily riding I do I figure there's plenty of time to work intervals into the mix in the spring and for now just focus on strength (resistance work) and flexibility (yoga).

2. The ride to and from the gym, my only ride on this last day of the year, was cold, brisk and simply beautiful. The low-hanging sunlight and wispy clouds in an otherwise hard, bright winter sky took my breath away. I smiled as I felt a little of the sun's warmth on my cheeks in spite of the biting cold. It was, in short, a glorious day to ride a bike; and I'm glad to have had a day like this today.

3. Ending mileage for 2010 -- 2,448.7 miles -- falls a little more than 50 miles short of my stated goal of 2,500. Considering everything that has happened this year I'm prepared to give myself a little break. I haven't yet considered a goal for 2011 but will within the next week.

4. At the end of the secular year I remain grateful: for friends, for family, for my Sweetie and for Just Plain Being Alive. Upright and Breathing is a good state to be in.

I hope 2010 has been at least a reasonably good year for all of my readers, and I hope 2011 brings you love and laughter, some great surprises and memorable adventures.
Happy riding to all in the new year!

7 comments:

EvoDavo said...

Keep rocking it blj. See you in 2011. Keep the rubber side down and the sides of your mouth pointing up.

Mr. Fusion Jazz said...

Yes, what ED says, "Keep rocking it."

Haven't been able to comment much but I've been enjoying each of your posts. Thanks for sticking with it.

And thanks for the opportunity for a year-end "retrospective" comment. I especially like your "Hype of the Week" posts. (VK rocks!) Your best post of the year, however, is your "memory" post from Nov 6. Deeply moving. Much appreciated.

Gene from Tacoma

bikelovejones said...

Davo: Thanks so much! It was lovely to meet you and Mrs. Hottie at USGP. Lets do it again next year, and please bring Tux (OMGOMGSoCute)too.

FusionJ: Re VK and Hype Of The Week -- Thank you for GETTING it! Drum Corps just hasn't been the same ever since they allowed three-valved Bb brasses in and it really went in the toilet when electronics and -- gasp! VOCALS! -- entered the pit. As long as I can keep finding vintage DCI online I will share, beginning again next June. And thanks so much for your comments about my writing. I am considering a kickstarter project, a little 'zine with some of my favorite pieces in it. Stay tuned and happy riding.

Judi said...

when i 1st started going to a gym, i used to watch the trainers. the ones that actually knew what they were doing. i also read every magazine on weight lifting, and learned a few things. keep up the good work beth!

bikelovejones said...

Judi: Sweetie had to teach me how to use most of the equipment. This is a DIY sort of gym where instruction is limited to structured classes and the sole personal trainer available to members costs $50.00 an hour (not in the budget). The reason it's set up this way is to keep member costs lower (annual membership for couples is less than $700.00/yr for unlimited use and access to all classes).

I got set up at the start with a plan called Activetrax, where you enter your data into a program and based on your info and expressed goals (mine are greater strength, stress reduction and overall fitness) you are given a workout to do on each visit. When your workout is done, enter what you did into the computer and it will give you your next workout. So far I find this approach helpful because it's methodical. I'm going to the gym to do Activetrax workouts 2-3 times a week, which is plenty for now.

As things progress I've mixed it up with a weekly yoga class plus two to three mornings of DIY yoga at home before I go to work. With all the commuting I already do I think that's probably enough for now. As the weather warms up I will try to figure out the proper balance of gym work versus longer and/or more intense rides.

The gym is less than 2 miles from my house and not too far out of my way to/from work, another plus. Sweetie has been super-supportive of my desire to learn how to train safely and we are taking yoga together now. Lovely.

slow rpm said...

..and thanks for such a thought provoking blog. Happy new year to you too, and keep the posts coming.

cheers,

Ian

bikelovejones said...

Ian! Yikes! How is it in your part of the world? Has the insane amount of rain affected you where you are?

Thanks for your comments. It tickles me to know my stuff is being read at the other end of the world from me. All the best to you and yours in 2011!