Sunday, March 17, 2019

The un-curated ride

Today, I went for a bike ride and did NOT take along a cell phone or camera.

It was a gorgeous, sunny day without a cloud in the sky. The high was somewhere in the mid-60sF. I pedaled my Bridgestone to the MAX station, and hopped a ride to South Waterfront with the intention of visiting John at Rivelo.

I stopped at the Starbucks in South Waterfront, discovered I had way more on my card than I'd thought and treated myself to a cold beverage, which I enjoyed sipping as I rode across Tilikum Crossing. The view from the bridge was spectacular on both sides, including glimpses of snow-capped peaks in the Cascades and a brilliant snow-white Mount Hood.

When I crossed the bridge and got to Rivelo I found it was closed (I must have missed that memo, since they're usually open on weekends). So I shrugged, and turned onto SE Water Avenue for the ride back. I figured I'd hop the MAX up to Lloyd Center, or grab the #6 bus all the way up to Woodlawn neighborhood.

Along the way, I felt the combination of creaky knees and fluid pedaling motion. I'm much slower than I used to be, and pedal in a lower (easier) gear these days; but it was all pretty darned lovely.
Since I wasn't stopping for photos, I simply enjoyed the motion of riding, the feel of the breeze on my face, the purr of rubber tires on pavement.

After stopping in at Next Adventure, where I scored a few used items on my in-store credit (that I'll flip online later); and tossed my bike on the bus to get back to Woodlawn.

By the time I got home, I felt like I'd had a nice ride, expending enough energy to feel done but not completely wrung out. I am learning to push myself a little when I think I can ride, but also to accept that my rides these days are going to be shorter and slower, and to be glad I can still ride. Especially on a glorious Spring afternoon.

Happy riding!

No comments: