Saturday, October 10, 2020

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2020 #3: reuse, repurpose, recycle, enjoy.

 The rain came to Portland today, and it was delicious.

I had a hankrering for one of my One Good Things -- sushi -- so I rode over to Mio for a to-go Sashimi box. (Below: Evidence of participation. Thought this would be more attractive than a shot of me in mid-chew...)


The air was cool and damp, and I rode around until I found a covered spot to enjoy my lunch. I found a nice long bench under cover at the PCC-Cascade bookstore, where I enjoyed my lunch while watching fast-moving clouds come in from the west.
By the time I'd finished, I needed to don my rain gear because the clouds were directly overhead and began sharing water with the ground.
I may be tired of it by March, but the first rains of the fall are always a delight.

On my home, I swung by the Re-Claim It! store, a source for many of my craft projects (some readers may remember the Torah case, or ark, that I built from a reconsctructed planter box and old license plates, most of which I got here).
They are allowing ten people at a time into the shop with masks and distancing, and no one can spend more than ten minutes at a time inside. So I feel pretty safe here.

I didn't have a plan, but hit paydirt when I found these little flooring samples made of recycled rubber. At only 3.5 inches square, they're not useful for much, but I tapped one with the eraser end of a pencil and found enough rebound to act on a hunch. I bought several of them for a dime apiece and took them home.

Continuing on, I reveled in the sight of turning leaves everywhere I looked. Because of the dry summer, the colors aren't as brilliant as they could be, but there's still plenty of beauty to see before it all falls to the ground.

At home, I pulled out the flooring samples and found that my hunch was a good one: for drummers accustomed to playing high-tension drums, these would serve as portable, very novel miniature practice pads. I'll add a key ring to each one, and they'll make nice gifts for a few of my drummer friends.



I might keep one for myself, too.
Happy riding!

No comments: