Saturday, July 17, 2010

hype of the week: 1988 madison scouts

I've decided that, during the weeks in which I am actually preparing for a bicycle race, it might be a fun thing to offer this up as a pre-race hype. ("Legend" was actually in my head moments before my race start last Monday.)
So to continue, here's another fave: 1988 Madison Scouts (one of only two all-male corps still competing!), doing their signature piece Maleguena. It's ridiculously big and loud so maybe turn down the speakers a little if you're listening after bedtime...


4 comments:

Mr. Fusion Jazz said...

Follow up to my post on the Blue Devils: So after I listen to your video from July 11, I go to youtube and look up Madison Scouts Malaguena and listen to that. Now you have posted as your Hype of the Week. Definitely classic.

Cheers, Gene in Tacoma

bikelovejones said...

Gene! If you listen closely, the mid-80's were the time that snare drums began to go tighter and higher. '88 Madison's snares are tuned almost a THIRD higher than '76 BD's. In another couple of years the first truly high-tension snares (with those Kevlar heads) would become commonplace in the Top 12 corps, and drumlines would never sound quite as tight -- or, IMHO, as muscular -- again.
Next week I'll try and find something a little earlier, just for fun.

Mr. Fusion Jazz said...

I can definitely hear the difference sound-wise but not sure if I can tell the difference technique-wise. (Is that a word?) I like the term "muscular". Lots and lots of good stuff out there to listen too. Thanks for the post.

Mr. Fusion Jazz said...

Hey, Beth! To clarify my comment that I was "not sure if I can tell the difference technique-wise", that would be due to my inept rhythm skills. It took years of practice for me to be able to clap and sing at the same time. g