Thursday, November 4, 2010

hype of the week: 1984 velvet knights

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I do this for fun. I go out and ride as fast as I can, and even though my "fast" is everyone else's slow, I do my best anyway. And when I finish in last place again, it's important to retain some perspective, and remind myself that I do this for fun.

This week's hype is for what promises to be a flat, fast Hillsboro course (where I will ride until my eyeballs fall out and still finish DFL), and for drum corps fans of, well, a certain age. Ideally, you should be old enough to remember vinyl. There's lots of very sly, subtle humor all over the place; but the vinyl reference ought to be enough (near the end of the tune, after it goes into hyperdrive). And above all, it's about having fun.

BONUS: If you hang in there for the entire 3-plus minutes, then you can enjoy this treat below. Drum corps fan will need no explanation. Everyone else: it's VK's drum majors at Retreat (where they annouce winner of the contest, very formal and ritualistic), being assisted by the way-more-uptight Blue Devils drum majors. Have fun.


slow rpm said...

Good for you.The only true competition ,in my book, is the one against youself.We are all built differently so competing against others can be a pretty meaningless exercise.(and 33 1/3 is a pretty nice speed to travel at!)



Judi said...

just go have fun lady! ride, pedal, get muddy, just smile a lot and have a good time!

bikelovejones said...

Yup. Yup.
Believe me, if there was a way to fit a pink flamingo lawn ornawment into my backpack I would bring one along, and maybe hang a tiny cowbell around its neck.
Report will follow, of course.
Thanks, guys.