Saturday, July 28, 2018

RIP velo cult bike shop and tavern: 2006-2018



Velo Cult opened in San Diego in 2006, moved to Portland in 2012, and closed their brick-and-mortar location tonight after a final party.In the six years it has been here in Portland,  Velo Cult has built a beautiful community, a temple of the two-wheeled life, and an incredibly welcoming, non-judgmental presence much needed in Portland's bicycle scene.
With its closure, I'm not sure where else I would go to feel this welcomed as the non-competitive, slow-as-molasses rider I've evolved into. I'll need some time to consider my options.
In the meantime, A Good Time was had by all at tonight's closing party.

Below: a final glass of cider, raised to Sky Boyer and the crew.

Image may contain: 1 person, drink
 Early in the festivities. In another hour the room would be packed.

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

Below: Sky, Melodee and Anthony
                        























Image may contain: 1 person, beard, tree and outdoor

 Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing and indoor
 Damn, I'll miss this place.

No comments: