Tuesday, November 5, 2013

laff-o-the-week: more ebay silliness

Today on eBay: some poor guy thinks he's sitting on a gold mine:



If you clicked on the link, you read that right.
Yes, really.
Buy-It-Now price is a hundred bucks.
And if you don't like blue, he's got two more of these in green, priced similarly.

Grant Peterson may indeed be getting ready to do a soft retirement. Emails to the Rivendellegentsia are now signed by somebody named "Dave" (huh?).
New arrivals at the web store seem to be focused on an ever-smaller customer base of Boomer Dudes With Disposable Income.
(Um, seriously: a four-hundred dollar cycling rain jacket?)
And a lot of Rivendell stuff -- gear, parts and catalogs -- have been tossed up on eBay in the last couple of years.
Whether the bloom is off the cult of personality is up to the individual. But last I heard Grant is still upright and breathing.
This is not angsty-dead-guy-soup-can art.
It's a freaking plastic water bottle.
From a company owned by a guy who is still very much alive.
So yeah, I'm gonna ridicule a water bottle with an opening bid of $100.
Because it's just plain silly.

Hilariously enough, the seller is located in my fair city.
I have one of these things sitting in my shed. If you want it, message me privately. I'm sure we can do a whole lot better than a hundred bucks. In fact, if you want it I'll GIVE it to you (local pickup only), just because I'm feeling a little silly myself.

The commodification of bicycling nostalgia is really getting to me.
Time to go outside.

UPDATE, 11-6-13: The buyer has lowered the price on two of his bottles to $72.00, the third is now $54, and all show up as being discounted (meaning that the original asking price is there with a line through it.)
Huh.

No comments: