Saturday, October 21, 2023

Progress on the Peugeot and a new handlebar

Moving forward on upscaling the Peugeot, I obtained a couple of things this week.

First, I scored this old Carradice bag (looks to me like a Nelson Longflap) on eBay for a surprisingly cheap price, owing in large part to its age and wear. When it arrived, I hung it in a tree and hosed it down thoroughly inside and out, then move it to my closet hs line to catch the last rays of afternoon sun to dry. I brought in that night to let it dry further inside, and it should be dry enough by tomorrow for me to add a little Proofhide to all the leather pieces to make the leather a little nicer. If I can find what’s left of my can of canvas proofing wax I’ll heat it up and brush on a little bit to restore some water resistance.



 

I think that when everything’s done it will be a fine bag for the Peugeot.

I also bought a new handlebar for it, which arrived today: a Sunlite (J & B house brand) “Elson Touring” bar, which is similar to the older Nitto “North Road” bar on my Rivendell. Similar, but not identical.
The sides have about an inch more length, and are spread maybe another cm wider. But the overall shape is right and I think it will work well. 





I plan to spend the morning in the Brain Trust, furthering the Peugeot to rideability so I can take it on a Coffeeneuring ride. Basically what’s left is swapping in the repaired tire, installing the front fender and finishing up the new cockpit. I can add the extras (rack, bag, maybe a front basket but maybe not) next week.

Coffeeneuring: ride Four today was lovely. Cooler, as the last 70F days are definitely in the rear view mirror; pretty fall colors beginning to pop along tree-lined Ainsworth Street. Hot cider at Kiss Coffee was delicious and fueled the ride home.




Stay tuned for Peugeot progress, and happy riding.

No comments: