Tuesday, October 8, 2024

2024 Coffeeneuring Challenge #2: Sunflower days

Today was Sweetie’s birthday.Her oldest friend in Portland took her out for breakfast while I had an online counseling appointment. After that, I enjoyed a little bike ride through the Alberta Arts District.

I treated myself to a cheap quesadilla at La Sirenita. Strangely, it’s next door to another Mexican restaurant called La Bonita, and both places have remained successfully in business for over a decade. I prefer La Sirenita because it’s a little funkier, more down-at-heel, and the food is hot, fast and fresh. And cheaper than La Bonita.







Afterwards, I rode a little farther down Alberta Street, and ducked into Golden Pliers to use their restroom. I sat outside for a few minutes to read the free weekly and enjoy the people-watching along Alberta.

Finally, I unlocked my bike and prepared to ride home along residential streets. But as I walked my bike to the end of the block, I looked down at the next bench and found this:

I looked around, saw that there was no one near it or looking for it, so I pocketed it. It still works and has a pleasant sound. I might make a gift of it later, to someone in need of a nice bell.

The weather was cool and cloudy, enough for me to keep wearing my hoodie. Along the way, I admired the decay that has become more prevalent since the pandemic and anti-police protests of the past few years. There’s a fence up around this building, which may mean some forward progress. Maybe.


On the way home, I enjoyed autumn leaves in a rainbow of greens, golds, reds and oranges.
Gardens everywhere we’re in the process of turning into the next season, with tomato cages coming down and mulch being laid in.

We still have some sunny days ahead, but with gradually lowering temperatures and fewer hours of sunlight. I love this time of year, though I wish the transition wasn’t quite so gradual. In past years, the rainy season would have hinted at arriving by now, but global warming has made a difference. 

I passed by this enormous sunflower and had to stop for a closer look. When the buds turn to seeds, the birds will go crazy.



I’m not adhering to a strict schedule this year. The Challenge began during the intermediate period of the High Holy Days, and allowances simply needed to be made. But I’m hoping to keep up with a couple of rides a week throughout the Challenge. 

Riding is a little harder these days, because it depends on how my balance is, and from day to day it’s not as predictable as it was before Long Covid. So if I have a good day that’s too close to the previous week’s rides, I’m not going to worry about it, I’ll just ride.

Happy autumn.

No comments: