Monday, October 22, 2012

Coffeeneuring Challenge 2012 # 3: Arbor Lodge Coffee, N Rosa Parks Way

Sweetie's folks are visiting this week, but did not mind that I needed to get in a quick bike ride on a cold, rainy day while they read and napped. So I made a quick loop of it.

The Arbor Lodge (http://thearborlodge.com/) serves local coffee and has been in business for about a year at the intersection of N Rosa ParksWay and Interstate Ave.




By 2:30 in the afternoon I'd had enough coffee for the day, so I ordered a hazelnut steamer that turned out to be the perfect drink for the moment. I was tempted by the baked goods but decided that by the time I got back it would be too close to getting ready to cook dinner. Had a nice chat with the barista, enjoyed my steamer and was on my way as a swirling, changeable sky threatened rain.

I was taking the opportunity to also test a new product from Rivendell Bicycle Works -- their MUSA Rain ShinShields (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar5.htm). Combined with my Rainlegs demi-chaps, they seemed to work pretty well in light, blustery rain. I'm not sure they'd work as well in a stiff downpour -- even combined with the MUSA Splats (http://www.rivbike.com/product-p/ar3.htm) they lack coverage between the top of the foot and the ankle. However, I've learned that most of the rain gear Rivendell sells is not really made for the kind of rain we get up here, so either I give up on the stuff or use it on appropriate days.


I understand they're intended for use with a rain cape (poncho). I recently scored a Jackson & Gibbens rain cape and after I've seam-sealed it I'll try it with the shinguards and splats and see what I think.

It is definitely rainy season in Oregon, so on went the ugly, heavy and strangely perfect saddle cover.


It will probably stay there until next May.

Returned home after a brisk loop through North Portland, my brain refreshed and calm. Total 6.6 miles.


No comments: